Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
You are here: public » services » welfare_fraud » faq
Services image
Contact Information


  • Welfare Fraud Hotline
    1-888-991-TIPS or 510-383-8777


Alameda County Social Services Agency
Program Integrity Division
7751 Edgewater Drive
Oakland, CA 94621-3013

Additional Links

Frequently Ask Questions

Q:How do I file a fraud complaint?
A: You can report welfare fraud using this online form. All complaints can be filed anonymously. Click here to submit a tip or you can call 1-888-991-TIPS.

Q: What happens after I file a fraud complaint?
A: All complaints are reviewed and if an investigation is warranted an investigator will be assigned. As welfare records are confidential, the Program Integrity Division or investigator cannot release any information pertaining to the case or results of the investigation to anyone other than the recipient/subject, including the informant. The informant may not hear from the investigator during or at the conclusion of the investigation.

Q: What programs are investigated by the PID?
A: The PID investigates allegations pertaining to the CalWORKS, General Assistance, and CalFresh programs.

Q: How do I file a fraud complaint regarding the IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) Program?
A: The Department of Health Care Services asks that anyone who observes or has knowledge of suspicious IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES (IHSS) activity to call the DHCS IHSS Fraud Hotline telephone number, 1-800-822-6222, to report it. The recorded message may be heard in English and four other languages: Spanish, Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Russian. The call is free and the caller may remain anonymous. You can also e-mail Department of Health Care Services at or on-line via our complaint form

Q: How do I file a fraud complaint regarding the Medi-cal Program?
A:For more information about filing a Medi-cal Fraud complaint, click here.

Q: What information should my complaint include?
A: Provide as many identifying details as possible for the subject, such as their name, address, date of birth, SSN, names of children involved etc. Your allegation should be as specific as possible. For instance if you are calling to report that a welfare recipient is employed, please include the name and address of the employer, if known. A complaint that is detailed can be extremely helpful to the investigative process.

Q: What happens at the conclusion of an investigation?
A: There can be several outcomes once an individual's eligibility for public assistance has been investigated and it has been determined they are not eligible. Their aid can be denied, discontinued or reduced. An individual may be required to reimburse the county for funds they were not eligible to receive. The individual can also be prosecuted for welfare fraud and face criminal penalties including but not limited to a felony conviction and jail time. Additionally, if it is determined the recipient committed an Intentional Program Violation, they could be sanctioned from receiving future benefits.

Q: Why are tips/complaints from the public vital?
A: The public can be one of the best resources to ensure that only individuals who are eligible for public assistance receive it. Your input helps us better serve the community and helps in preserving limited funds for those citizens of Alameda County who are truly eligible for aid.

Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal