CalFresh ABAWD Work Requirement
Effective September 1, 2019: Important Changes to CalFresh
Some CalFresh recipients in Alameda County are now required to meet federal work requirements. The rules apply to anyone receiving CalFresh between the ages of 18-49 without a child living in the home. This federal rule is known as Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD).
Work Requirement Exemptions
You may be exempt from the work requirement if you are one of the following:
- Unable to work due to chronic homelessness
- Living with a child under age 18
- Earning at least $218 a week
- Participating in a CalWORKs work program
- Caring for a child under age 6 or anyone who is ill or disabled
- Applying for or getting unemployment insurance
- Applying for or getting disability benefits or veterans' disability
- Unable to work due to domestic violence
- Struggling with or receiving treatment for drugs or alcohol
- Going to a school, college/university or training program at least half-time, including any Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) training program
- Have a physical, mental or emotional disability that stops you from working
Complete this survey to find out whether you may qualify for an exemption.Bring it with you when you see a Social Worker or Eligibility Services Technician.
To download this CalFresh Work Requirement Survey in other languages, click the links below:
Meeting CalFresh Work Requirements
If you are not exempt from working, you will be required to participate in approved activities to continue receiving CalFresh benefits. You can meet work requirements by doing one or a combination of the following:
- Working at least 20 hours per week, on average 80 hours per month
- Participating in a CalFresh Employment & Training or other approved employment training program for at least 20 hours per week.
- Volunteering or performing community service for at least 20 hours per week
- Participating in Workfare arranged by Alameda County Social Services Agency, less than 20 hours per week
Interested in jobs or training? Call 510-263-2420 or 1-888-999-4772 and inquire about our CalFresh Employment & Training program!
Need help or have questions?
Visit Us: Office Locations
Call: 1-888-999-4772 (8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday)