Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
You are here: public » services » children_and_family » preparing
Services image
Contact Information


  • Child Abuse Hotline


Alameda County Social Services
Children and Family Services
24100 Amador St
Hayward CA 94544

Links to resources on the web

Preparing Transition Age Foster Youth for Independence

Independent Living Skills Program (ILSP)

ILSP is a federally and state funded program designed to help eligible youth between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one who are or were in foster care to achieve self-sufficiency through training in independent living skills. Services include case management and support, referrals to jobs or training, help with housing, and assistance with college.

To find out more, visit the ILSP program's web site: Or, contact the main ILSP phone number at 510-667-7696.

Extended Foster Care & Assembly Bill 12

Watch this brief video, which features our Youth Advocate Fellows. The fellows explain Extended Foster Care and encourage all youth to find out if you're eligible

The purpose of this section of our website is to share information and resources about the implementation of Assembly Bill 12 (aka AB 12), the California Fostering Connections to Success Act. The law went into effect January 1, 2012, and extends services and a youth's financial foster care rate benefits for youth who are over 18 years old. The assistance under this law can last until the youth turn 21 years old (an extra 3 years). In addition to extended foster care benefits, extended benefits are now also available for youth receiving Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payment Program (Kin-GAP) benefits and Adoption Assistance Payments (AAP) and, and for certain youth living with a former non-related legal guardian.

Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB 12 on September 30, 2010. In doing so, it was recognized that 18 was too young for most youth to be without support. The law attempts to address this by providing the option of extended foster care, which allows youth to receive services and supports past age 18, such as help with education and employment goals, and extra time to develop lasting relationships with caring adults. New housing options are also available

The extension of foster care benefits under AB 12 for foster care, guardianships, and adoptions is being phased in over time. Using extended foster care as an example, this means that, as of January 1, 2012, extended foster care is available to a youth who was in foster care on his or her 18th birthday if they reach age 19 on or after January 1, 2012. Then, as of January 1, 2013, benefits are extended to youth up to age 20. On and after January 1, 2014, the services are available for youth up to age 21. As long as a youth was participating in extended foster care immediately prior to turning 19, the youth can continue to receive benefits in 2012 after turning 19. Some youth who turned 19 during 2012 may have had to exit extended foster care due to the fact that the youth turned 19. However, a change in law that took effect on July 1, 2012, allows these youth to immediately reenter foster care and resume receiving benefits and services.

For Youth - Am I Eligible for Extended Foster Care?

If you are currently in foster care or you were in foster care on your 18th birthday, you may be eligible for the extended foster care program as long as you meet the age and other requirements. If you think you want to reenter extended foster care (EFC) and you live in Alameda County, call our Hotline at (510) 259-1800 to see if you are eligible. If you want to reenter but live in another county, you can find the number to call in your county here. If you are not yet 18 and already in foster care, talk with your Child Welfare Worker about how EFC works. Remember that to participate in EFC, you will have to do one of the following:

  • Be in high school or a similar program.
  • Attend college, community college, or a vocational education program.
  • Work at least 80 hours a month.
  • Participate in a program or activity designed to remove barriers to employment.
  • Be unable to do one of the above requirements because of a medical condition.

Being in EFC also means that you will:

  • Meet with your Child Welfare Worker or Probation Officer each month to work towards the goals of your Transitional Independent Living Case Plan.
  • Live in an eligible placement.
  • Sign an agreement that you will meet the requirements of the EFC program (what is listed above).

Being in extended foster care is up to you. As long as you are eligible, you can decide if you want to participate.

More Information about AB 12

If you want to know more about EFC and AB 12, you may contact Faith Battles, Division Director for this Department's Eligibility, Transition & Placement Services division, at (510) 780-8937 or These resources may also be helpful:

Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal