Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
You are here: public » services » children_and_family » faq
Services image
Contact Information


  • Child Abuse Hotline


Alameda County Social Services
Children and Family Services
24100 Amador St
Hayward CA 94544

Links to resources on the web

Frequently Asked Questions About Children and Family Services

I am the relative of a child who is being removed from his or her home. What should I do?

If you want to be involved in helping the child or family, please contact the child's social worker or their supervisor. If you do not know who that is, you may find out by contacting the Social Services main index line at 510-268-2002.

I suspect that a child is being abused or neglected. How do I report this?

Please call our Child Abuse Hotline at (510) 259-1800.

I want to help foster children. What can I do?

There are many ways to get involved and help make a difference in a child's life. Click here to find out what you can do to help!

I want to become a foster parent. What do I need to do?

For more information on how you can adopt a child or become a foster parent, call (510) 259-3575 or visit

I am the caregiver to a foster child and have questions related to his or her Medi-Cal or Foster Care benefits. Who can I talk to?

Caregivers and providers may the Foster Care Information line at (510) 268-2500 to receive answers to eligibility related questions regarding a foster child. The hours of operation for the line are 8:30AM to 12:00PM and 1:00 to 4:30PM.

I used to be in foster care, and I heard that some youth are eligible to return to something called Extended Foster Care. Is this true?

If you are currently in foster care or you were in foster care on your 18th birthday, and you did not reach age 19 before 1/1/2012, you may be eligible for the extended foster care program as long as you meet the program's other requirements. If you think you want to reenter extended foster care and you live in Alameda County, call our Hotline at (510) 259-1800 to see if you are eligible. If you want to reenter but live in another county, you can find the number to call in your county here.

How does the foster care system work in Alameda County? What happens after a report of suspected child abuse or neglect is made?

A chart is available here that depicts the general process for what happens when a family is involved with our department.

Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal