Debit Card (EBT)
Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) is like a debit card for CalFresh benefits and California Food Assistance Program benefits. CalFresh is California's ( Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which was previously called Food Stamps . EBT is currently used in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam for SNAP benefit issuance. In California, EBT cards are called Golden State Advantage cards.
In addition to CalFresh, cash benefits for CalWORKs, Refugee Cash Assistance, Cash Assistance Payments to Immigrants (CAPI), and General Assistance are issued using an EBT account in Alameda County.
The card is slid through a point-of-sale (POS) device, or entered into an automated teller machine (ATM). The recipient then enters their Personal Identification Number (PIN). EBT cards are convenient, secure, and can be used at more than 80,000 locations in California.
Using your Golden State Advantage Card
Click HERE for important Client Information about EBT cards, including the following:
- What To Do if Your Card is Lost or Stolen
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding EBT
- How to Take Care of Your EBT Card
Copies of the EBT Brochures are available by clicking HERE. Non-English translations are also available at this link.
Toll-Free Customer Service Telephone Number
877-328-9677 is a free call from California land lines; when using a cell phone, normal cellular telephone charges may apply.
Customer Service is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer any questions you may have about your EBT Card.
When you call, you will reach an Automated Response Unit, and you can get the answers to most of your questions without the need to talk to a Customer Service Representative. Answers can be provided in English, Spanish, Eastern Armenian, Cambodian (Khmer), Chinese, Farsi, Hmong, Lao, Russian, and Vietnamese.
- Your EBT card is lost or stolen.
- Your EBT card does not work.
- You want to change your personal identification number (PIN), because you forgot it or someone else knows your PIN. Your public assistance office may also be able to help you change your PIN.
- You want to find out how much you have left in your account(s).
- You have been charged for a purchase, but did not get the items or were charged too much for what you bought.
- You have other questions or problems.
Where Can I Use My EBT Card?
- You can use your EBT card at any store or ATM that displays the Quest mark throughout California and across the country.
Click HERE to find locations in your area.
- How to Get Cash Benefits at No Cost
- The locations where you can use your EBT card to withdraw cash may have changed. You can no longer get your cash benefits at:
- ATM's and point of sale (POS) devices in liquor stores that don't accept your CalFresh (CalFresh) benefits
- Casinos, poker rooms, card rooms, adult entertainment businesses, bail bonds, night clubs/saloons/taverns, bingo halls, race tracks, gun/ammunition stores, cruise ships, psychic readers, smoking shops, cannabis shops, tattoo/piercing shops, and spa/massage salons.
County EBT Forms: