GA/FSET Handbook 90-02.43: CalFresh E&T Program Orientation Activity
Effective Date: July 1, 2011
Published Date: July 20, 2011
Revised Date: September 2, 2011
Published By: D128
The purpose of this handbook is to inform Employment Services staff (ESD) of changes to the CalFresh Employment and Training Program Orientation (formerly known as the GA/FSET Informational Meeting).
Effective July 1, 2011 employable General Assistance (GA) applicants and recipients will no longer be required to participate in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CalFresh E&T). Instead, both applicants and recipients will be allowed to choose whether or not they participate in the program. Clients will only be allowed to participate for as long as they are receiving GA cash aid which for employables is currently time-limited to three (3) full months in any 12 month period.
All GA applicants are seen by a Social Worker (SW) and are given a mental health screening. Some applicants are sent to medical or mental health providers for further evaluation.
Once a GA applicant or recipient is determined to be employable by a SW they will be informed that they are not required to participate in the CalFresh E&T Program but may participate if they choose to do so. They will be given form #90-251 Option to Participate In the CalFresh E&T Program in order to make their choice. They will make their selection on the form, sign and date, and give back to SW.
GA applicants and recipients who choose to participate in the program will be scheduled to attend the CalFresh E&T Orientation by the Eligibility Support Clerk (ESC) in ESD. GA applicants and recipients that choose not to participate in the program will have nothing further required of them.
GA applicants and recipients that complete the CalFresh E&T Orientation will be scheduled to the Assessment Testing/Interview activity.
When a GA applicant or recipient is determined to be employable the ESC in ESD will:
- Receive form #90-251 Option to Participate in the CalFresh E&T Program for those clients who are employable and wish to participate from SW Supervisor.
- Run ES exemptions and register participant to Employment Services.
- Schedule the participant to attend the CalFresh E&T Orientation.
- Complete manual letter 90-24 CalFresh E&T Orientation Appointment Letter with date, time, and location of CalFresh E&T Orientation, and give copy to participant.
- Match form #90-251 to names on CalFresh E&T Orientation roster.
- Provide additional clerical support to the EC conducting the CalFresh E&T Orientation.
- Administer the CASAS test to participants and input results in CalWIN.
- Receive form #90-251 Option to Participate in the CalFresh E&T Program for employable clients who do not wish to participate from the EC who is conducting the CalFresh E&T Orientation.
- Complete CalWIN Case Comments and close CalFresh E&T case and send letter 90-257 CalFresh E&T Informing Notice for those clients who decide not to participate. (Letter 90-257 is in Other Client Correspondence in CalWIN. Please see CalWIN How To 235 to generate letter).
- Place form #90-251 in the appropriate box to be imaged.
The EC conducting the CalFresh E&T Orientation will:
- Greet all participants.
- Ask participants if they have any medical conditions that would prevent them from participating.
- Refer to SW those participants who claim medical conditions that prevent their participation.
- Ask participants if they have all signed form #90-251 Option to Participate in the CalFresh E&T Program.
- Provide participants with form #90-251 Option to Participate in the CalFresh E&T Program so they may make a choice, if they have not done so and give form to ESC.
- Allow those clients who choose not to participate to leave the Orientation.
- Show PowerPoint presentation that explains the purpose of the program, rules and regulations, next steps, etc.
- Go over form 90-10 CalFresh Participation Requirements and obtain signature of participant.
- Schedule participant to their next activity which will be Assessment Testing/Interview.
- Give CalFresh E&T Assessment Activity Appointment Letter 90-253 to participant.
- Authorize transportation.
- Attempt to contact those clients who “No Show” to this activity to ask why they missed activity and if they still wish to participate. Allow one re-schedule if client wishes to continue participating.
- Update CalWIN and complete CalWIN case comments.
- Transfer case to Assessment Unit.
Note: Since GA clients are not required to participate in the CalFresh E&T Program they may end their participation at any time. If a client decides that they wish to stop participating staff should close the CalFresh E&T case (see CalWIN How T0 215) and send letter 90-257 CalFresh E&T Informing Notice (see CalWIN How To 235 to generate letter).
Lori A. Cox , Director
Social Services Agency